Sunday, November 2, 2014

Beverly- The Process Begins!

Or, at least a part of the process that I can document.  So much of my normal design process goes on in my head, and as part of a conversation between me and the fabric.  

I knew I wanted to use the indigo fabrics I dyed earlier this summer- so, I started by laying them out and deciding which I would use.






This gave me an idea of how they played together.  I looked at them in my studio for a few weeks, and finally started making some rough sketches- not something I do with every quilt.  My sketchbook is not a work of beauty like Vicki's!!




I looked at those for awhile, but none really resonated.  So I sketched some more, after realizing that these had too many smaller parts- I wanted more negative space.  So, this is where I ended up.





The bottom sketch is the one I finally chose.  Then, to the fabric!




I thought this would be an easy piecing job, until I realized that piecing would destroy the lines of the shibori fabric.  So, I inset the pieces, using a modification of Sharon Schamber's Piecelique technique.  It works better on curves, but I managed.  The corners are a bit of a challenge.


Here it is with all the insets done- I can see that I will have to do some tweaking on the top portion to have those insets line up.

This is as far as I got this weekend.  As I look at it, I'm thinking I need a pop of color somewhere.  Red?  Lime green? Yellow?  I will have to think about that.  Maybe a skinny line between the body and the left side border?

 That decision will require further conversation between me and the fabric. and probably some auditioning on the design wall- stay posted!


5 comments:

  1. It looks to me like you are having an excellent conversation - one of those ones that makes you keep wanting to talk and talk and talk! This is looking great Beverly! I like the idea of a pop of colour, and personally I love red and indigo together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sketchbook doesn't have to look wonderful! I don't show the ugly pages!
    I am loving how this is coming along. Your fabric is wonderful. I live an olive green and indigo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your process. This piece is lovely. Can't wait to see how it ends up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The modern quilt approach is just right for the fabric you are using. I vote for yellow or orange as a spot of color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabrics are wonderful and I love hearing your conversation with yourself!

    ReplyDelete