Wednesday, August 15, 2012

arch i textiure

My challenge piece started out a few months ago as a piece for 'Balance' however I didn't get very far, before I was overtaken by another idea and this was left in the UFO box.
It was started after watching a Kelli Perkins workshop.  Yes, Kelli Perkins, Lisa, I was just uploading my picture when I saw your upload!.
I sketched these architectural elements, then painted them and added some bits of collage.  Then I printed them on fabric several times and patched them together so I had some nice frayed edges.  I free machined over my sketch lines, then went to town with hand stitching!
It's a bit hard to see the hand stitching in this photo, but it is pretty well covered.  In fact. I did so much hand stitching, I forgot all about quilting, so it is just backed with felt.
Hope you like it.  I sure enjoyed it.  Looking forward to seeing everyone else's!
Nearly bedtime here, and tomorrow I have a workshop, but hope to check in during the day.


7 comments:

  1. Ha! Vicki! I love Kelli Perkins work! But I so love your interpretation of the challenge! I am so enthralled by all your bits of different techniques and how they all come together into one beautiful piece of art! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Vicki! This is stunning. You have created a wonderful depth of field in this piece, and your stitching (which invited me for a closer look when I saw it in the upper border)adds a terrific texture to the piece. Your ability to incorporate numerous techniques from your toolbox into one piece is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! I always love to see how you incorporate all the little bits and pieces into one wonderful whole. Your stitching is fabulous - like Brigitte, I wanted to get up really close for a good look. I would love to see this piece in person to explore the texture and collaged bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ethereal quality of this piece which incorporates hand stitching and sketching is just lovely. The stitches make the piece a real standout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has a very ancient Greek feel Vicki! Love all the handstitching and sketching. Great Architecture piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful piece Vicki! I admire your hand stitching, and you've created a lovely feel just as Judy said, 'ethereal' with how you sketched your ancient elements. Adding the modern print words in a random cut manner is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki, your piece immediately brought to my mind Grecian ruins I saw when traveling in Europe years ago. Love all the texture and interest the hand stitching adds- this really has a timeless, ethereal quality to it which I love.

    ReplyDelete