Tuesday, October 25, 2011

up or upwards

Thanks Vicki for not wanting me to get lost into translation!

The first that came to mind after reading the new theme ‘look up’, was to search in my photo-albums for some pictures I took during vacations. I’ve always loved to potograph buildings, mountains, streets, objects (let’s say scenery) from a low perspective (or do I need to say from a lower point of view...?)
I found some really wonderful graphic images that could be used. Is this one of the right directions to take, is it looking up or upwards?

I found this (looked it up, yeah!) in one of my English dictionaries (much the same as Janet already explained, but I always love those text bits from dictionaries...

look up
1. To search for and find, as in a reference book.
2. To visit: look up an old friend.
3. To become better; improve: Things are at last looking up.
look up to
To admire: looked up to her mother.
look up
vb (adverb)
1. (tr) to discover (something required to be known) by resorting to a work of reference, such as a dictionary
2. (intr) to increase, as in quality or value things are looking up
3. (intr; foll by to) to have respect (for) I've always wanted a girlfriend I could look up to
4. (tr) to visit or make contact with (a person) I'll look you up when I'm in town
Verb1.look up - seek information from; "You should consult the dictionary"; "refer to your notes"
research - attempt to find out in a systematically and scientific manner; "The student researched the history of that word"
 
Would love to hear your thoughts on this. 

Nicolette

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes! I think those are perfect examples of how to interpret the theme! My initial thoughts have been along much the same lines.
    Your dictionary meanings are fun - if one was so inclined, they could use them as the quilt - stamped, transferred, quilted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the dictionary definitions and examples and I also like what you're doing with your photos, looking for 'looking up' perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I wish I was more adventurous with my photos. I suppose this is a perfect opportunity.
    challenge 3 page is up

    ReplyDelete