Thursday, August 18, 2011

Celebrate Every Day!

celebrate
There are so many things that we can and should celebrate every day, and I tried to capture a few of them in my piece.
Friends, family, creativity, nature, joy, love, life, music, diversity, as well as birthdays, weddings and the unexpected, are just a few of things I’ve included – it’s not always about the fireworks, but they’re there, too!
reasons to celebrate more reasons
fireworks
I stamped fabric, painted some of it, thread painted and quilted. I did some photo transfer and free piecing. I included unexpected fabrics – holographic prints to represent confetti and fireworks, a metallic fabric just because, some applique and some curved piecing.
hand painted and stamped fabric more stamped fabric
blue free motion writing
This was a difficult challenge for me to develop a full idea of what I wanted to do. I had a glimmer of an idea, but it just wasn’t coming together, so I just sat at my machine and let it and the fabric tell me what it wanted to be. A different type of process for me –I usually have a pretty good idea of what I want to end up with, but not this time! End result – am I happy with my piece? Pretty much, although probably not my favourite work to date!
Thank you Brigitte for coming up with this theme and making me stretch well outside my comfort zone – a good stretch always feels good, and that’s something to celebrate, too!
Cheers!
Janet

9 comments:

  1. Great theme of celebrate everyday and so well done ... fun and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, it is wonderful! I love all the different elements of celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt Janet! Love all the techniques you have used! We should celebrate every day in deed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Janet this piece is just wonderful! So much to look at and you are right...we can even celebrate the unexpected. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, this piece is so full of wonders. As usual, you have thought everything out so well and put together a beautiful quilt. I especially love the double wedding ring with the crazy piecing, but most of all, I love the perfect quilt writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love your quilt. So creative. I especially love the confetti and the scrappy wedding ring. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your inclusion of text throughout in subtle and bold ways as well as your use of metallic and scrappy fabrics is what give this quilt its charm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've created a piece that has lots of interest- I love how you've used quilting to create text. I had to enlarge the picture to get a better idea of your concept. Your use of a variety of fabrics, and the inclusion of text is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet,
    I am late to your reveal but I find your piece so lively and fun -- a great illustration of celebrating every day. This piece has such a happy energy!

    ReplyDelete